Saturday, July 21, 2012

Quick Tips for Luscious Lips


When I was little, I always used to watch my mom put on her lipstick and think she was so old and sophisticated. I thought I would literally never be old enough to pull it off and not look like a little girl playing dress up with her mom’s make up, but ever since I got back from studying abroad in Spain (maybe it’s that European fashion-forwardness getting to me) I’ve been obsessed. I made my lipstick debut this past winter with Revlon’s Colorburst Lip Butter in Candy Apple ($6.49 Target). Maybe a little aggressive to start out with a bright red never having tried lipstick before, but go big or go home right? 


Left: Me in Revlon's Candy Apple.
Right: Rathi looking ravishing in an even brighter red- MAC's classic 'MAC Red' (Nordstrom, $14.50).

Then, on a shopaholic whim and with some solid beauty advice by a MAC saleswoman, I purchased MAC’s Sheen Supreme Lipstick in 'Full Speed' (Nordstrom, $14.50), and my life was forever changed. I can now say that I’m addicted- I don’t go to my art gallery internship, work at Urban Outfitters, or out for a fun night on the town with the girls without first slicking on a coat of this bright coral pink shade. In fact, I’m almost out of it and the thought actually gives me heart palpitations. So, moral of this short story is not to be afraid to ask the makeup counter girls what shade they think would look best on you (that’s what they’re there for!), or even just try a few different cheaper ones at the drug store before you find something you really love. I guarantee that once you get used to seeing yourself with lipstick on, you won’t ever go back to nude lips!

 

Rathi and I both in MAC's 'Full Speed' this past St. Patty's Day!

And for a long-lasting lip color, try Maybelline's Superstay 24 Lipstick (CVS, $7.49). My roomie Kierstin's fave is 'Reliable Raspberry.' According to her, it stays on all night with only one re-application needed, and the dual-sided feature gives your lips a fun glossy look!



One last quick tip for hydrated and healthy lips, as well as to make sure that your lipstick of choice goes on smoothly- don't forget to start your lip routine with a layer of chapstick . One of my recent finds is Blistex's Fruit Smoothies (Kroger, $3.79 for a 3-pack). You can't beat the price or yummy fruity flavor!

Reader's choice: Sephora Sugar Lip Treatment SPF 15 (Sephora, $22.50) is "a great option for easy color that goes on smoothly and feels just like chapstick!" -Shikha G.
____

XO, NB & RG



No comments:

Post a Comment