Monday, July 30, 2012

Trend Watch: Craving for Crop Tops

As I pass the hours- sometimes very slowly- of my shifts at Urban Outfitters, my thoughts often turn to brainstorming for new topics to write about for our beloved Femmes in Gems. Either that, or I pretend shop for myself, checking the prices of all my fave items under the pretense of "straightening the racks," with all of the money that will hopefully come with my next paycheck ("so 40% off of this would be...?"). Very 'True Life: I'm A Shopaholic,' right? But anyways, a trend that has seemingly taken UO by storm this summer is the crop top- all colors, patterns, etc that you can imagine. Crop tops used to scare me off admittedly, but with my recent health kick that involves training for a half marathon in the spring, I've been less and less afraid to bare my tummy. Healthy is in, as is showcasing all of your hard work and progress! And what better way to do this, beat the summer heat, and be a fashionista all at once than with the perfect crop?

To give you an idea of the beautiful specimens I'm forced to gaze longingly at every day while I work, here are a few I'm enamored with from Urban:



Top left to right: Sparkle and Fade Burnout Bodycon Tank ($19.99, was $34), Cooperative Eyelet Strapless Top ($19.99, was $29), Silence & Noise Pieced Lace and Mesh Bustier ($29.99, was $49)
Bottom Left to Right: Title Unknown Cropped Fringe Tee ($34), OBEY American Super Crop Tank ($68), Reverse Lattice Seam Tank ($49)

And the best part about the crop top is that it's up to you how little or how much skin you want to show. If you want less to show, pair your crop with a high waisted skirt or shorts, like on some of the UO models above. For those of you feeling a little friskier (ow ow !), sport some lower riding shorts or jeans. It's also easy to dress up or down, depending on how you work the rest of your outfit: a tight skirt, sexy wedges, and some fun jewelry is a quick and easy combo to take the vibe from casual weekday lunch date to Friday night out with the girls!

UO obviously isn't the only store taking advantage of this trend's comeback, so here are a few examples  as shown by myself and some of our stylish readers:


Me: Coral Crochet Top (Nordstrom Rack, approx. $15)
Laur W.: Black Flowy Top (TJ Maxx, approx. $12)
Chelsea H.: Hot Pink Structure Cutout Top (South Moon Under, approx. $60)
Bekah S.: White Knit Top (H&M, approx. $12)

And our contributing Brit Jenny L. from across the pond gives us a European take on the trend:


Left: Black Bustier with Gold Buttons, Denim with Zipper (Both Topshop, approx. $35)
Right: Striped Crop Tee, Crop Tee with Heart (Both H&M, approx. $8 and $15)

As you can see, there are stores galore where you can find very affordable versions of this fun trend. Dare to bare ladies!! 


Haha I couldn't resist a little throwback- even the Spice Girls knew how to rock the crops!
____

XO, NB & RG





No comments:

Post a Comment